Wednesday, April 14, 2010

5-2=0

Lemme just briefly explain the equation above - it's my own 'modification' so to say, of a slogan DBSK fans came up with to go with Always Keep the Faith. When times get tough for a kpop group - someone leaves, someone joins or whatever, fans make up equations that kinda show their desire for the original group to stick together and whatnot. Because Jaejoong, Yoochun and Junsu were in limbo with SME due to the lawsuit and fans were scared that they might leave, the equation for DBSK is:

5 (the entire band) - 3 (JaeChunSu) = 0, meaning if the 3 left, there would be no DBSK.


Now DBSK/TVXQ/Tohoshinki's activities and career in general is in full stop - no group appearances, no new singles, nothing. I've said my piece on that, so I won't talk about it anymore.

The most recent, and most shocking (for me) piece of news that has come out of this whole fiasco is that Jaejoong, Yoochun and Junsu have re-signed exclusive management contracts with Avex and will be performing as a trio in Japan.


If this was any other piece of news, I'd be freaking out on Twitter repeating the same opinion over and over again, but this is quite different because my opinion is very, VERY complex. For my standards, I guess. It's complex because one, I'm a DBSK fan but two, I'm also a blogger with a LOT of anger towards the music industry. I'm both happy and not happy, not necessarily sad, but I'm not happy. *sigh* Tell me if I start confusing you guys, OK?

When I first heard the news I was so damn happy - like, dancing around my room and calling up my bff to scream at her happy.

The first reason for my excessive joy was the fact that I now have solid confirmation, not just some magazine interview, that at least SOME of the band still want to pursue music careers since their solo activities have revolved around acting, acting, Michael Jackson tribute concerts, acting, musicals, acting and acting. Now that they're actually gonna be performing in effin' TOKYO DOME of all places, I'm assured that they want music, which is damn good for me. Yay!

The second reason is that because the 3 signed new contracts (according to one translation) with Avex and I assume SM has no business with it because they hate the three, it technically means that they're free to do what they want to or aren't that constrained anymore. In Japan. In simpler words - THEY'RE FREEEEEEEE. In Japan. Just in Japan. But still, they're free. So yay.

A less prominent reason for my freaking out is the fact that they're not just playing some small club or going on some TV show and singing - they're doing effin' TOKYO DOME. TOKYO DOME, PEOPLE, TOKYO DOME. And it's not just for 1 night, it's for TWO. If they can play to a sell-out crowd there and it's just the three of them, IN YOUR EFFIN' FACE LSM. THIS IS WHAT YOU'RE LOSING, YOU SURE YOU WANNA GIVE THIS AWAY? Yay!

But hold up - it's only 3 of them. There's 5 in DBSK. I like DBSK. 5-2=0, the same way 5-3=0. Even if HoMin aren't suing SM and have their own solo stuff, seeing only JaeChunSu perform without the 2 is different. I'm not treating this 'sub-unit' as 'the new DBSK without HoMin', I'm treating it like just another solo activity where the 3 just happened to come together because it's not the 5 of them.

Like I always say, there's a certain magic that happens when DBSK step on that stage - when 5 outstanding voices who've worked so hard, been through so much and shed so many tears together, step on stage and sing their heads off and hearts out. It's that magic I want - I want the 5 of them, together. I'll wait, but they have to come back or at least say goodbye formally.

DBSK is Jaejoong, Yoochun, Junsu, Changmin and Yunho - no more, no less. This 'sub-unit' isn't 'the new DBSK' because there is only 1 DBSK and that's the 5 of them. So just because I'm happy that the 3 of them are together, doesn't mean I'm allowing the group to further divide. I'm happy for certain things it symbolizes, yes, but the one thing I've always wanted and will always want is for the 5 of them to be together again. That's all I've ever wanted from the very beginning, and I'm sticking with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment