Monday, January 3, 2011

HoMin - Why? (Keep Your Head Down)

Before we get to the review, I would like to apologize to my Twitter followers for spamming your timeline with profanities and "WHAT IS LIFE?" tweets - that's what happens when you mix part of my favorite band with a world-domination song I waited yearS for. Yes, part and yes, years. Had it been all five of them I don't know what I would've done.

However even with all my spazzing, crying and whatnot, would you believe me if I said I'm writing this with absolutely no idea what to write? Usually when I write a review I have a general idea of what I want to say, and everything just pours out - I'm not too sure if that's happening right now.

From a fangirl's perspective, from someone who has waited too damn long to hear something from 2/5 of her favorite boyband, this song is more than welcome. It has all the fanservivce possible, and talent/delivery-wise Yunho and Changmin have really stepped up more than I expected them to. The song screams "ADORE ME", and there are an infinite ways for fangirls all over the world to show their adoration for the song.

This is the world domination song of the year, in simple terms.

After all the initial spazzing, crying, dying and tweeting, I listened to this a few hours ago and although the song clearly has it's epic parts, I feel that all the freaking out I did this morning was due to the hype - I mean if you waited three years for new material from your favorite band in and industry that demands 1 release a year at least, wouldn't you be rolling around with joy?

I'd love to say that everything starts out all nice and quiet then the song builds up to an epic end, but I'm afraid I'd be lying if I said that. THE SONG STARTS OUT EPIC AND ENDS EPIC. The guitar line catches your attention and earned an eyebrow raise from me when I first heard it, then the talking leads to an epic intro, which in turn leads into autotuned Yunho singing a gorgeous melody and Changmin just tearing.it.apart. The hook is world-domination material from the very beginning, and the chorus is a feast to the ears - no explosions, just consistent epic-ness, it just doesn't want to stop.

Yunho's first rap part is bearable, then Changmin's parts are getting more and more scream-y, in preparation for later. The chorus killed me for the gazillionth time, and Changmin rapping was a rather.. welcome change. But then OH MY GOD THE DANCE BREAK, THE MARCHING BAND, EVERYTHING IS JUST EPIC. Epic just got epic. The song resolves itself astonishingly, in my opinion, and I LOVE how it ends - like they just turn their backs like nothing out of the ordinary happened when your jaw is actually on the floor already. Cocky, much? VERY.

The thing is, HoMin know how to perform. They know how to look good on stage and they do everything in their power to look cool, what separates them from lesser bands is that they have the talent to go with the looking cool and all, and they know when to perform their heads off and when to look good, if they're not doing it at the same time and succeeding.

The song as a whole is a lot to digest, and if you're neither a fan or a critic, it may come off as a little too odd. It has the maturity of Mirotic with the interesting-ness of Rising Sun. Without the fangirling, the structure of the song kind of overwhelmed me, to the point where I had to literally write down the parts to be able to properly talk about them. I don't write things down, I just don't! Don't believe me? Proof:

OK so anyway. What I'm trying to say is that this song is literally like Yoo Young Jin looking at the past, and moving forward with that went right. He put in enough of everything that has made DBSK singles epic in their own ways, and he found a way to make everything work together, all while moving the duo into a new era musically.

As much as I think JYJ are talented, and as much as they are capable songwriters, they simply cannot compete with Yoo Young Jin because when YYJ wants to do something damn good, he will. Of course there are times that he does something damn good because he's being paid a lot, but you get my point right? The man is an institution in himself for heaven's sake - when he does wrong he makes up for it with a right. More like a home run.

My point is, DBSK's brilliance has been equally divided, in my opinion - JYJ got majority of the talent and HoMin got majority of the outstanding material. Of course when you put those two together you get THE MEANING OF LIFE, but like I said on my Athena review, my worries for HoMin have all disappeared.

Infinite who? Secret who? MBLAQ who? GD&TOP who? I'm sorry but you don't compete with Gods, you just don't. Whether it be 1, 2, 3 or 5 - you don't. Got that?

5/5 - were you expecting any less?

No comments:

Post a Comment