Saturday, June 4, 2011

Eldridge Rodriguez- You Are Released

So, I know this guy. His name is Joe. He is pretty damn awesome. He is attractive, smart and funny but there is one thing that really REALLY annoys me about him- he knows music. This guy lives for it. Breathes it. I swear he eats sheet music for breakfast. That is not the issue though. The issue is he seems to know every band that has ever existed and when I don't know the band he knows, can't play at least three of their songs, can't recite every lyric of their third song on their second EP it is met with a very loud, very long groan. A groan of disgust. A groan that tells me I am a disappointment, will never measure up and I am just not “cool.” This is frustrating for me because music has become an area of exploration for me. I don't know what I really like, I seem to like everything and there is so much music out there for me to discover it seems endless. So, I seek revenge. I seek revenge on the large scale, and Ripple along with Eldridge Rodriguez is helping me do that... Time to launch my first attack...

First step, find out about the artist. Eldridge Rodriguez is the front man of The Beatings and You Are Released is a solo outing from the bands reported legendary sounds of 

Second step, fall in love with the music... This step was the easiest. You Are Released is creative. It has.. zing. It is electric and acoustic and the vocals are surprising at first, then comforting as the album progresses. It is quite a dark sound, perfectly appropriate for a revenge mission. Let me walk you through my favourites on the album...

I personally feel that the first song on the album tells you exactly what you have signed yourself up for, what each of the creative works that follow will explore deeper. “The Big Windup” has a heavy sound, is sort of blurry for your ears but is still so nice too... Hard to describe.

A few songs later came the anthem for my revenge mission“The Shame Of The Scene”. Well played Rodriguez. You are really helping me out here!

“Some day,
I will be playing it smart,
Some day,
I will be stealing your heart”


“Run MF Run” is my favourite song. Yes, “The Shame Of The Scene” is the anthem but this song is more fun! In a dark, dreary sort of way.  It starts off with a catchy sound that drags you into its depths, it is heavy and has really great moments when there are big loud parts. It is a song that you can sing along loudly to when you are in a dark mood or driving. (Am I allowed to swear in this? It is a direct quote.. If not, you will see Racer editing out the naughty words.)

“You gotta run mother fucker run,
You gotta run mother fucker run...
...I can't get done what I need to get done
I cant have fun when I need to have fun”


Not that there is much of a difference between my dark moods and how I drive...

“Miss Me When I Am Gone” is the song that I was first introduced to Eldridge Rodriguez and that was what made me first like him. It is also the second last song on You Are Released. It is awesome with its acoustic clean sounds and dark lyrics,

“You're gonna miss me when I'm gone,
You're gonna miss me when I'm gone,
Like a face that needs a fist,
Like a razor needs a wrist,
You're gonna need my when I'm gone”

Whats not to love? A dark album, sounds varying from clean to messy, and despite the dreariness it is fun.

Third step, launch attack... (Fades to black with evil laughing..)


- Koala


Buy here mp3: You Are Released [Explicit]



No comments:

Post a Comment