Tuesday, October 21, 2008

The Saturdays - Chasing Lights: A pre-review

(Stole the title from The Beat Review, sorry!)

OK. So maybe I was a overreacting a bit this morning when I said I was hyperventilating. I was extremely excited, but I think that led to me being a bit disappointed with the outcome of the album. The album is good, with strong songs, but my expectations were too high, and I have some.. issues with a certain song.

Let's get my issue over with first, so it's clean sailing after this. For those of you who have the album, or who've heard the whole thing, turn your attention first to a song by Paula Cole, I Don't Wanna Wait. Recall the chorus, and repeat it over and over in your head. Got it? For those of you who've forgot what it sounds like, or don't know about it at all, you can listen to it here:



Got it? Got it. So now that you've got the melody of the chorus firmly planted in your mind, give the title track of the album, Chasing Lights a listen. Pay close attention to the very first line of the chorus, doesn't something sound fishy?

Chasing Lights is a gorgeous song, don't get me wrong, but every time I hear it, I can't help but think of the Paula Cole song. The similarities are a bit too much, I mean the melody and structure of the chorus? I'll say it again, Chasing Lights is a gorgeous song, but too much of it came from another song, and that's a big issue for me.

Originality. A lot of musicians take it for granted, and for a long time, I haven't heard something like what I heard earlier today, but I think I was too confident that these girls would deliver a perfect album. Let's face it, all first albums have flaws, it's just that some manage to hide it better than others.

Phew. I finally got what's been bugging me all afternoon off my chest. I know what you guys must be saying, Can we get to the review already? Indeed we will!

No comments:

Post a Comment