Friday, December 14, 2012

[#26] B.A.P. - "Crash"

From: "Crash"
Format: Repackaged Mini-Album
Released: August
Territory: South Korea
Previous Best of Appearances: First Appearance

B.A.P. were one of the more hyped groups this year, and I'll be honest and say that it's probably the main reason why I even know they exist. I didn't follow them as much as I did other rookies, but in my defense they had so many comebacks this year I wonder how some people kept track.

When they were starting out, B.A.P. weren't really my type of boy band -- they carried themselves extremely well for rookies, but the material they carried just didn't click with me. It's kind of like how I feel about 2NE1, when I just hear their songs I'm not impressed, but it's always a pleasure to watch them.

"Crash" was the exception though. The song itself is very different from their other material, and they kind of touched on B1A4 territory as far as fun goes, but I really like how they delivered it, and how they kind of tweaked the song itself to suit them.

The melody is pretty in the generic way, but they pad everything and pile on the multi-tracking to keep it interesting. The very heavy vocals also add intensity to the fun nature of the song, and I think that's also one of the things that make it a B.A.P. song. It's fun, it's kind of tongue-in-cheek if you think about it, but at the same time there's weight to it. It's not mischievous because mischief doesn't necessarily require seriousness -- it's more light-hearted than anything. Like, "okay, we're going to have fun, and this is is how, this is why" as opposed to "OMG YAY WOOOOHOOOO".

"Crash" is calculated fun, and I've learned that most of the time that doesn't really work, but because B.A.P. are good performers to start with, and because that kind of certainty paired with an air of grace is pretty inherent in them as far as what we've seen, they pull it off. They pull it off well.

No comments:

Post a Comment