Thursday, March 4, 2010

Could D-NA be the new DBSK?

Before you start dismissing me for comparing such a new boyband to GODS, at least consider my points, and know that I'm a full-fledged Cassie but I'm also a music writer - I put my biases aside when I write critical pieces.

D-NA are a new boyband under one of the smaller Korean talent companies and the name stands for Dae Guk Nam Ah (something about guys? don't know the direct translation) - pictures were first released earlier this year.


When I first heard news about D-NA, I told myself I'd wait for music to come out, so here I am a few months later, with two songs, a music video and a live performance in hand. What I noticed while listening and watching all this material is baffling, even for me.

Their debut single, Admiring Boy (동경소년), reminds me A LOT of DBSK's Hug, and I mean A LOT. It's not fast enough for a mind-boggling routine nor is it too slow for the band to just stand there. It's mid-tempo verging on ballad, let's just put it that way. The harmony thingy at the start really reminds me of Hug as well, the only difference is that it's a LITTLE more updated than the DBSK debut single. That as well, it's their debut single.

The video reminds me of a cross between Hug and that SS501 single with the band dancing on a white backdrop - if my memory serves me right, that was their debut single as well. The dancing, some of the shots (especially the ones in the house) and the white/back theme really seem close to DBSK's initial image.

DBSK's debut single Hug (2003)

D-NA's debut single 동경소년 (2010)

Talent-wise, I'd have to say they're a little lacking compared to DBSK. BUT, there are a few points there as well. Tthey're a lot better in the vocal department than a lot of other boybands out right now and second, they're new, their voices will still grow and mature. DBSK were good when they started, but they're better now - D-NA will and HAVE TO grow into better singers who'll eventually morph into musicians.

Honestly, I don't know if they're good dancers since I know nothing about dancing but the fact that they're kinda being pushed as good singers (which in Korea most often equals ballad singers, with a few exceptions) but are still made to dance reminds me A LOT of how DBSK were initially pushed. Remember, they were supposedly lead singers of various SM project groups put together to form a boyband made up of guys who can all sing? Well there you have it.

However, I'm only judging on their debut material - if they don't get better songs and grow with time, they're not gonna be the new DBSK. The thing that makes DBSK so brilliant (I would've said this even if I wasn't a fan) is the fact that they grew after Hug and they continue to morph and deliver solid material that's worth your time, none of that auto tune crap. If D-NA can do that, which I hope they do within the next few years, then this essay would've predicted it. If they don't, well it was a nice try. Hahah.

No comments:

Post a Comment