Monday, May 3, 2010

f(x) - NU ABO

FAIL title aside, NU ABO is everything I've learned to despise and more. They haven't exactly impressed me with any of their previous material but as a band half of them are vocally capable in some way, shape or form and for that very reason I've been giving them a chance over the past few months. I've had enough though.


Lachata was strong enough for a debut single and it's mistakes were forgivable, Chu was a mistake, and now NU ABO is just an EPIC FAIL. I'm sorry f(x), I know you girls are talented and all but this song is just not doing it for me. They are singers, they sing SONGS, they don't "chant" to boring loops, nor do they have their vocals processed and fixed like it's perfectly normal because it's not.

Krystal can sing, Amber can a bit and Luna just blows everyone away - where's all that talent going? To a song whose melodic lines make up 35% of the song at the very least? A song that's processed beyond belief and depends on a hook no one will even be able to properly hum along to in real life? Give me a break.

Pop music is made for the masses - so "regular" people can sing along and realize that "hey, maybe I can do this too" with hopes of making them buy the song. Simple melody, pretty instrumental, a structure people can remember - verse-chorus-verse-chorus-midde8-chorus. That's what pop is and what pop should be but if these girls can't even do that, what's the use? It's probably the most "unintellectual" type of music if you ask a fundamentalist, because all you have to do is create a melody anyone can sing along to. SME can't even do that and they're supposed to be "good" at "selling pop"? Puh-lease.

The only good part is the middle 8, which is, in the words of Simon Cowell, forgettable. It's good because someone actually sings on that part (I believe it's Luna) and sings well, albeit vocoder-ed like crazy.

Yes, the hook is very infectious - it's so damn infectious that even I can't get it out of my head. The song has a relatively clear structure if you think about it really well and the melodic parts, when they're there, are decent but as a whole this song is an EPIC FAIL.

1/5

No comments:

Post a Comment