Sunday, May 9, 2010

Super Junior - Bonamana/미인아

It's election day today in the Philippines and though I'm too young to vote, I honestly want everything to go fairly and smoothly - I'll accept whoever the winner is, so long as it was in a fair and honest manner. But enough of that, on to the review!

Last year was fantastic for the band, and I thought Bonamana would continue their epic-ness. I thought this would be good, I really did, since they're Super Junior and all. It's not - not even close I'm afraid. Oh well, things could be worse.

Sorry Sorry was one heck of a pop song - it pretty much set the trend for kpop last year and it had the longevity, so to say, to be near-legendary. I mean, it's in every possible "idiot's guide to kpop" - if they even exist outside of this blog. (which I think they do, I just haven't seen them)


Sorry Sorry was catchy, it wasn't necessarily creative but it was relatively new and it actually had an actual melody - you could actually sing along to it no matter how auto-tuned like crap it was. That is a good pop song.

I listened to Sorry Sorry right after I heard this new song, then I listened to the new one again - I can't help but think they're going all Kelly Clarkson on this. To refresh your minds, early last year I said that All I Ever Wanted was Kelly's desperate attempt to relive the glory of Breakaway and by desperate I meant bad, pathetic, unoriginal, the list goes on. But you see, Breakaway is legendary - Since U Been Gone and all the other singles have become some of the most influential songs of the 2000's, they're a part of modern music history.

Sorry Sorry was kinda like that - the amount of records SuJu sold not only in Korea but overseas, the awards they won and the popularity they gained in a snap of a finger just with that one single was overwhelming. They went from being DBSK rejects to one of Asia's biggest boybands (literally and figuratively!) - the song is immortal in kpop. Now that they're back, I can't help but think they want to do that again but you see, they can't. At least not with this kind of song.

미인아/Bonamana has all the qualities that made Sorry Sorry so popular - an annoying but not that annoying hook, an actual melody, an addictive and memorable instrumental loop and auto-tune. It's so similar that the feel of the verses and the hook just make me want to burst out into song and dance singing Sorry Sorry. It's not as big a copycat as SuJu-M's Super Girl, even if I found that song brilliant, but it's copied or adapted enough for me to notice it within 10 seconds of hearing the song.

The percussion sounds like it's something straight out of Cuba or an African country - it's like a cheap version of the real thing. Coupled with the auto-tune it becomes this novelty song-ish whatever, reminds me a bit of last year's SM Town summer track with Sorry Sorry injected, Seaside was it? Yup. The production's standard SM, which only means it's good, so that's one thing to pay attention to. I can't stop listening to it either. I try, really hard, but I just end up looping it and looping it and looping it. We'll see how long the song can hold up without me getting sick of it.

I won't deny that it's catchy, I find myself subconsciously tapping my feet to it and for reason alone I think it'll be a hit plus the fact that I like part of the melody, but when you think about it we've all heard this before from SuJu. I appreciate that they're sticking with the melodic songs, I really do, and I think other bands *ahem* f(x) *ahem* should look up to them in that aspect, but could we please have something more original next time? I don't want to hear a song that's a desperate attempt to recreate something I heard too much last year.

What Super Junior and/or SME fail to realize is that songs with these qualities are a thing of the past now, and by past I mean last year, smaller acts and even the bigger ones have put out their share of the trend - it's done. They can't go around with Bonamana and not expect people to be like this sounds so last year because it is so last year.

2.5/5 - because it has some good qualities and it'll be a hit whether I like it or not

No comments:

Post a Comment