Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Sara Bareilles - King of Anything

Let it be "carved into stone" (LOL) that I'm trying my best to juggle reviewing Korean AND Western music. I'm trying, OK?!

I'm not sure if you all know, but I worship Sara Bareilles - Little Voice is one of the few albums I can listen to from start to finish and not get sick of a single song. I have a copy of the physical album and my money was sure as hell worth it - I still play the album ever now and then.


Sara Bareilles has the uncanny ability to make me actually pay attention to lyrics - they're edgy but blunt at the same time and I like that in a song. I like lyrics with kick, but that don't sound contrived, uncomfortable or trying-hard - they just work.

I. Am. In. Love. With. This. Song.

It's got Sara's now-signature piano treatment mixed with the stomping percussion, blunt lyrics and her gorgeous vocals. That and this song has got to be one of the cheeriest songs I've heard all year. The piano's really bright and sunny and happy, the melody's catchy and sing-along-able and the entire song just made me smile. It reminds me of that Andi song a few years back (I remember doing some promo for that) - happy and bright.

The production on this is really clean, but I LOVE the touch of the real cymbals (but I don't hear any real drums) - they sound so crisp and raw, I like. Reminds me of something you'd do in Japan - the clarity of it all, the smoothness but the attention to small details that really make the song. The transitions just pop - how the instrumental flows from one phase to the other makes me HAVE to, not just want to, tap my foot and sway along to the song. This girl's got groove/swing/whatever!

Sara's like a breath of fresh air in the sea of GaGa wannabes and Gaga who's a Madonna wannabe. She's got her own niche in the industry, making pop songs - solid pop songs you just want to sing along to, songs that make you happy listening to them.

5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment