Thursday, September 3, 2009

f(x) - Lachata

I'm back with reviews! Sorry for the lack of British pop and the abundance of K-pop these past few weeks.

2009 seems to be the year of the girl groups in Korea and partially in the UK (new releases from the Sugababes and The Sats!) so with that comes a whole mob of new Korean ones.

Of the ones that have recently debuted and are about to debut, my frontrunners are 2NE1 (I Don't Care is fantastic) and this new SM girl group - f(x). With SNSD Jessica's sister, Rain's ex-co star and some real talents in the band, I have absolutely no doubt that they will eventually succeed one way or another.
f(x) has been dubbed the female SHINee for reasons I agree with - the number of members and their ages, emphasis on dancing (their leader starred in a Rain video as a dancer) and vocal strength. By this one video, there are girls in this group who can REALLY SING. Like other groups though, I've already spotted the token 'pretty face' (don't know her name but she's there.).

Lachata is a pop song - that's probably the best way to describe it. The song has a novel hook (Lachata doesn't actually mean anything), a repetitive but insanely addictive melody, smooth vocals and catches on easily - it's something that's easy to hum/sing along to. Towards the end of the song, the tomboy-ish member starts rapping but you know, I don't mind at all. It sounds tasteful and it complements the song - it doesn't take the spotlight off the music like a ton of other songs.

Speaking of the tomboy-ish member, my one frustration about this song is the fact that she isn't highlighted as a vocalist when SHE CAN DAMN SING. She gets one short and overlooked line towards the end but it's enough for me to say that the girl can sing - not as good as the best one (Luna, judging by this video) but better than the pretty face. And she has appeal - she was one of the first members I really paid attention to throughout the video.

4.6/5

No comments:

Post a Comment